Rivenes is the latest in The Kveik Ring series from Escarpment Labs. Some consider this the “other Voss” owing to the similarity in their characteristics. Originally from the farmhouse of Svein Rivenes, this blend contains three strains from that original culture. I wanted to brew something that would accentuate the flavors of this blend and settled on a simple American Pale Ale.
For this, I went with my go-to recipe using 2-row, white wheat, carapils and rye. I really enjoy the light spicy notes that rye adds to the beer.
68.2% Mutons Super Pale Malt
18.2% White Wheat Malt
4.5% Rye Malt
I used a technique I often use when I do not have a large enough block of time to brew the entire beer at once, I did an overnight mash in my Mash and Boil. Doughed in with ~ 5 gallons of water around 8:00 PM at 154F, put on the lid and let it go. Brewing water was RO built up with gypsum and CaCl2. For this beer, I targeted 50 PPM Ca, 100 PPM SO4 and 50 ppm Cl. Lactic acid in the mash to reach target pH of 5.4 or so.
The next morning, I raised the basket and let the wort drain while sparging with 2.5 gallons of additional water resulting in a preboil volume of ~ 6.5 gallon and started the boil. OG was higher then I targeted at 1.056. The overnight mash bumps up your efficiency a few percent.
Sometimes, you have to go with the classics. To me, nothing says APA like Cascade and Centennial and these should complement the esters of the Rivenes nicely. Went purely late additions, and had a single boil addition with 5 minutes left in the boil targeting 8.6 IBUs of Cascade and 17.3 IBUs of Centennial. When the boil was complete, the wort was cooled down to 170F and I added another 2oz of both Cascade and Centennial for 15 minutes. Then cooled to 98F, aerated with pure O2 and pitched one pack of Rivenes.
I have fermented several beers with Kveik strains but they never cease to amaze me. 2 hours after pitching, we had lift off. By the next morning the krausen was already falling and by that night, all signs of fermentation were gone and the gravity was 1.010. 1.056 to 1.010 in ~ 18 hours. Like I do with all my beers, after it hit terminal gravity, I let it sit for a few days to clean up a bit (though the gravity sample was amazing). It is now carbonating in the kegerator and part 2 will include the tasting notes. For now, here is the complete recipe.