So a few weeks ago I told you about a 15 gallon batch of Italian Pilsner I brewed with Czech Lager. Since I needed to make a very large starter, I decided to brew a 5 gallon batch of a light lager. The grist was 80% Wind Malt and 20% flaked corn with a OG of 1.040, same as I make my starter media . It fermented at 50F until 90% attenuation followed by a 3 day diacetyl rest. It was then cold crashed and held cold until I was ready to pitch the Italian Pilsner.
On the day I brewed the Italian Pilsner, I pressure transferred the beer to a keg and carbonated to 2.5 volumes. The entire yeast cake that was left behind was pitched into the Italian Pilsner wort.
I have used Wind Malt in several beers so far but it was always in either a yeast forward beer, like a Saison, of a hoppy APA so I was never able to get a good sense of the malt profile itself. Therefore, I was quite keen to try this beer (starter?) as the Wind Malt should shine and I was not disappointed.
On the nose, there was clean, sweet grain. Not really bready, just clean, crisp graininess. Perhaps a bit sweeter then pilsner though the corn could and likely is adding to the sweetness as well. Overall, it is very clean. No sulfur or other off-aromas that I can detect.
The flavor matched the aroma. Super clean and crisp with sweet graininess. A gentle hop bitterness balances the grain sweetness nicely. Again, no noticeable off-flavors. Just a delicious, light lager. I will definitely be scaling this recipe up for the summer and it will always be on tap.
The Italian Pilsner is getting kegged tomorrow and that write up is on the way. Stay tuned.